Friday, January 22, 2016

Day 22 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge

I spent several hours this morning matching the backgrounds I have painted over the Challenge with the shoes I had selected as potential prospects.  It was a fun morning deciding if I could come up with the next 8 days of paintings and which backgrounds need to be painted.

This background had lots of potential to shine with several of the pumps but in the end I chose another shoe that I would love to own in my closet.  I really like the combination of the red and black--no wonder since I am a Black Tornado!  The shimmery cast of a silverish glow made it a little more difficult to paint but I learned a lot in the process.

I painted the entire shoe Brilliant Cad Red and then Carbon Black in the parts of the shoe that were black.  I placed some netting over the shoe while it was still damp and lightly brushed over the areas to be cast in the shimmer with a broader brush.  I weighted the netting down with another matboard and let it dry.  I wanted it to be very subtle so I could build on it or lift depending on what needed to be done.  I did decide that the red should be Quinacridone Coral and lightly brought out the background to match the more brilliant color.
Red and Black Shimmer Pump  6x6 Watercolor

No comments:

Post a Comment