Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Day 27 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge

Well, here is a painting on Yupo (a plastic used by the printing industry) I mentioned several days ago.  It is a very slick and nonporous surface so the paint sits on top.  Most of the time I burnish the wet paint to set it before applying any other colors or layers.  I just let these sit.  The colors always remain exactly as they were applied.  I did move the board around so the pools of color could flow in different directions.  With the wet weather it took awhile to dry.

I was a little disappointed because I did masque the whites in the shoe but the masque didn't want to come off easily on this surface.  I also applied some sea salt to the surface and that isn't what I would do in the future.  Many layers were applied using white gouache and I added more black to the shoe itself.  I really think this pump is outstanding but spending many hours painting it, I'll have to stand back and not look at it for a day -- hope you enjoy looking though.  I still might create a dark shadow under the shoe before finishing and sealing this or putting it under glass -- whichever I decide.  Yupo actually looks great under acrylic or glass.
Black and Whte Striped Pump  6x6 Watercolor and Gouache on Yupo

No comments:

Post a Comment