Sunday, January 31, 2016

Day 28 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge

3 Leather Pump  6x6 WAtercolor and Gouache on Marbled Paper
​Well I'm painting in the "groove" and can't seem to stop.  I know I'm going to go through withdrawals at the end of this Challenge!!  I'm going to post the three paintings I worked on yesterday and today.  Since I started a few days late I might even catch up and get 30 paintings in the Challenge.

​The first one is a more casual pump which attracted me to a different kind of fantasy setting on where you could wear such a shoe.  I love the different leathers he used in the design of the shoe.  I've always like purple and it was an intresting combination of brown, orange, gray and purple leathers on different parts of the shoe.  I used the marbled paper because I thought it would show off the colors and textures better than other papers I could have used.  I did have to highlight the paper to make it all happen and bring the shoe forward.




Summer Watermelon Pump 6x6 on Marbled Paper




The marbled paper was almost like tissue paper and so wetting it again both on the background and in painting the shoe was a little more difficult but because the marbling is acrylic paints I think it held it together.  I like this one a lot better than the one on Yupo.  It speaks to what I wanted to portray.  Summer will be coming and wouldn't it be fun to have a pair of shoes to wear to the first summer party!  It was a little difficult to get the clear part of the shoe to appear with the busy background but watered down white gouache seemed to do the trick on both paintings.  Gene Gill always said to use whatever tools you need to finish a painting and he used gouache a lot in his awesome paintings.  Thanks Gene!! 

​The paint went crazy when I mixed these particular colors for the background -- obviously the characteristics of possibly Skip's Green didn't like the other pigments?  The salt added to the texture which I think is a mistake on Yupo.  There are two versions of this shoe because I really wasn't sure I could even pull this one off.  Sure need to sign it again if I finish it behind glass or acrylic.

Summer Watermelon Pump 2 Watercolor and Gouache on Yupo


No comments:

Post a Comment