Sunday, January 18, 2015

Day 18 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge




Revisiting My Roots
6x6 Watercolor on ClayBord
When getting my inspiration for today's painting the underpainting had a very intricate pattern of shapes, star-like yellow lights and several constellations.  I thought it might be too difficult to pull the design of Virgo out of the painting due to the colors.  So this morning I went surfing on the Web since I also saw a figure in a blanket.  I looked up the three Native American tribes which I have been told are in my ancestry.  What a wealth of information when you are looking for symbols, textiles, art and artists who paint Native Americans.   It was truly an exciting venture I went on.  So I wanted to include a landscape with trees symbols since we drove to Government Camp yesterday for a family get-together.  I wanted the underpainting to show through so decided not to add other colors to the blanket.  Finally I had to add the Big Dipper since it is visible in our skies.  This is also a tribute to my father-in-law and all that he taught all of us about the stars and to my youngest son, Eric, who followed that interest from his grandfather in his studies.  He keeps us up on what is going on in the Universe.  I think she is a Medicine Woman letting the stars out into the night sky.  I've always had a great imagination......

Revisiting_My_Roots

No comments:

Post a Comment