Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Day 28 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge

It is hard to believe that I started this painting with my webbing and spraying technique using yellows and reds.  I thought of my favorite French rooster as a good subject with those colors.  Before today I had completed the two hens and the rooster, except for the tail feathers.  After critique there were several suggestions on making the background enhance the rooster by darkening around him.  When we were chasing them all over the property at Maison Blanche in France there were wonderful shadows from the chestnut and hazelnut trees so I decided to add the tree shadow colors and the chicken coop to the background.  It definitely is darker now and the he does "pop" more.  I had to change the design to the diagonal with the horizon line obscured. I might need to rename the painting "le coq gaulois" the unofficial symbol of France.  He also has a look that says, "Don't mess with my hens!"

This is a full sheet painting and he makes quite a statement when hanging in a room.
Ruler of the Roost II
Watercolor  22 x 30

No comments:

Post a Comment